Tuesday, March 20

progress

At the beginning of the year, with our Christmas-gift Netflix memberships handy, Curtis and I set out to watch all 100 of AFI's 100 Greatest Movies.

As of March 20, we have viewed:

3. The Godfather (Good, but felt more '7os than '30s. Everything filmed in the '70s has that brown tone--including old guys' too-tanned skin. I finally understood the million one-liners that you hear quoted in 100 other movies.)

7. The Graduate (Amazing. Better the second time around. Beautiful cinematography and soundtrack. Interesting story and incredible acting by Hoffman.)

14. Some Like It Hot (See this post.)

32. Godfather, Part II (Filming is better this time around and we liked the continued story just as much as the first. Robert Deniro's acting is inspired.)

42. Rear Window (Loved it, but I love Hitchcock. Scary and suspenseful and fun in a "night-at-the-movies" kind of way.)

70. The French Connection (I wanted to watch this movie to convince Curtis that Paris and Provence are places we must visit. Turns out it's mostly set in the Big Apple, thusly, my plan backfired. Probably my least favorite so far, but there's a cool car- and train-chase scene.)

75. Dances With Wolves (It was on TV one night so we tuned in. It's as good, or, more correctly, not-so-good, as I remembered it.)

77. American Graffiti (A little slow-moving, but perhaps one of the first of all the teen movies--a precursor to films I enjoy like the '90s "Can't Hardly Wait." Cool '60s cars and hairstyles, too. Also one of Lucas' earlier works. I didn't see any parallels with later, more popular, ones.)

94. Goodfellas (Curtis liked it but I made him turn it off because it was too violent for sensitive me. He finished it later sans Ali.)

I can't wait until we get to "Wuthering Heights" and "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"--especially the latter because I've already seen it and know I love it. It's fun to see movies of books you've already read. I watched Martin Scorcese's adaptation of Edith Wharton's "Age of Innocence" on Sunday night (free on Comcast!) and it was a nice refresher.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Graduate is the best! I also love Rear Window.

Lorilee said...

I love Rear Window, it makes me want to pop a big bowl of popcorn, have candy and soda galor--and have a "night at the movies." What happened to our movie club idea?

I want to watch "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" with you.

celeste said...

What, you didn't like the French Connection? Matt and I love it simply because it is one of the "brownest" movies of all time. Second to the Jazz Singer of course.

Anonymous said...

I looooved 'Wuthering Heights' (Read the book.) and wasn't 'The Age of Innocence' beautiful? (loved that book too).

Les said...

Ali,

This is so cool! I have carried this list in my wallet for three years now and consult it anytime we visit the rental store. We are about half-way through it. There are some goodies.

btw I agree with your take on Cool Hand Luke. It should have made the list, especially because of that scene where the hot mama washes the car and all the inmates oogle her.

ali said...

Celeste: First, hi. Good to see(?) you. Second, you're dead-on about the Jazz Singer. In fact, I think I made that very comment when I watched it with Jeremy and Dan (who else?).

Les: The word oogle makes me laugh.