Tuesday, June 17

thanks for humoring me

So I was actually in all three cities at one point or another---and in my dreams I was getting a mani-pedi far away from tornado alley. (Thank you for the wishful votes on that one.) After a whirlwind trip to DC to find housing, I ventured on a much more whirlwindy and impromptu trip to get my nerd on in the Midwest, which led to more tornado-dodging (first in DC, then in Kansas), a lack of greens in my diet, the smell of smoky-even-though-they're-non-smoking hotel rooms and a whole lot of unanswered e-mails.

Surprisingly, I liked Oklahoma best. My image of Kansas isn't great since it's tainted by a dramatic evening of tornado warnings that left me teary, though Kansas City is surprisingly hip and chic. The nerd inside me liked Independence, Missouri the most for various historicalish reasons.

Anyway. I'm happy to be back in Mom's basement in Utah for now. I would have given my right arm for a basement during that tornado warning. Seven were spotted around the small town I was in. Seven. That's seven too many for this girl.

.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Ooh I am glad you are safe and sound!

Kelly said...

surprising that OK isn't all that bad, right? i've somehow ended up living here off and on for the past ten years since graduating high school and leaving pennsylvania. glad you survived the twisters, too!

cheers
kelly

Unknown said...

Someday I am going to research the frequency with which 'Oklahoma' and 'surprisingly' are used in the same phrase. It seems that everyone who visits is taken aback to find the place is 'not that bad,' to use another phrase often found in conjunction with OK.

ali said...

Ha! The same goes for "Utah" and "surprisingly ok" I think. :)

Jane Flanagan said...

Is it blogger or is your header suddenly gone bye-bye?

I'm glad you're safe and sound!

Anonymous said...

Seems like the Midwestern weather systems have been going bjonkers for WEEKS now. Glad you survived twistermania!

Kaylen said...

Yeah...I live in St. Louis and the weather here has been crazy (although not crazy like seven tornadoes...yikes!) I visited KC for the first time ever a couple of months ago and LOVED it. You should live there.

Ann Marie said...

Sounds like oh so much fun. Glad you escaped the killer tornadoes!

Anonymous said...

yay Oklahoma! I'm glad you like it.