Sunday, November 18

behind the scenes: the flats


Usually my favorite moments in photography and film (and anything else ... life, included) are those from behind-the-scenes.

If this was a real editorial photo shoot and not just a day for playing around, I would tell you what labels we got to pluck from the wardrobe racks, whether it was a Mac or Bobby shade of red that highlighted B's lips, or which hot new band she preferred as the backdrop for her shoot---and maybe throw in some quotes about our new favorite brand of jeans and which problem-solving hair products kept her braids from falling.

Instead I will tell you that we brought whatever articles of clothing we thought would be visually interesting, we listened to whatever came across random on my iPod (I remember Grandaddy, Mojave 3, Pinback, JT), and talked about whatever we wanted: American Indian reservations, the college-and-then-growing-up experience, Bella and Edward and Jake, mysterious burials in the west desert, work, the bizarre Star Wars-esque landscape, our friends spread across the country, and private matters I deem inappropriate for blog-dom. We also snacked on bagels and water and Coke, between scenes.

It was a perfect day for being girls and for being friends. Hoping you are feeling inspired. Here are some of my favorite behind-the-scenes shots:



L shoots B pretending to shoot L.



B writes me a note.


L shoots B, who is looking very much like a Geisha.


Our trailer ... err, wagon, doors ajar.


The wardrobe/props-mobile.



Us.


I'm working on getting this on on Flickr for easier viewing, but there are a lot of photos to dig through. (Good thing I don't use film.)

.

12 comments:

Tharmony Collection said...

WoW! so beautiful! What type of camera/photo editing program do you use? I love the photo of the ladies taking photos...

ali said...

Thank you!

I use a Sony Alpha 100 DSLR, but I don't do much photo editing as I have no training. :( I have Photoshop Elements but only use it to crop/lighten shadows, basically.

Unknown said...

love the behind the scenes!

Samantha said...

I absolutely love seeing behind the scenes. Every time I do a shoot I like to step back and take a picture of the environment I am in. Looking back on what I had to do to get those pictures is always interesting.

brooke romney said...

Are you the most creative artsy person ever? Who would have known?

laura tj said...

these are lovely, you're so creative! do a behind-the-scene video next time and put it on youtube :)

Catherine said...

more beautiful photographs, I am loving see this series, I can't wait to see your next shoot!

Robin said...

Ali, these are totally awesome. I love the notepad one. Also the bottom one with the map peeking in.
P.S.-Thanks for your nice comments recently, they made my day :)

Anonymous said...

amazing.

marta said...

loving the behind-the-scenes look. these are well worth all your efforts. simply gorgeous.

jamieanne said...

Sweet props-mobile, dewd.

Lacey Jane said...

Love this! So fun... Can't wait to see your collection on Flickr. (I have another great one of you in action; I'll send it to you soon.)