Wednesday, March 2

utah towns in life magazine, 1954

utah 3utah 1utah 2

In the 1950s, Life hired Dorothea Lange and Ansel Adams to photograph three small towns in Utah. Some things have changed (St. George), and some things have not (Gunlock). In college, my senior project centered on my grandmother's life in the small towns of Utah. Ask me what one of my ideal Saturdays would be, and I'd tell you about driving south on I-15, stopping where and when I wanted for a treasure hunt, with my camera and a sister or two in tow. I am the kind of person who would rather go back in history than back to the future, and maybe even more than to the beach.

Thank you Emily for sharing this with me. See the scanned story here.

Images from Life Magazine via BYU Museum of Art; photography by Ansel Adams and Dorothea Lange.

.

3 comments:

felicity said...

I completely agree; I'd much rather go back in time than go forward. I blame it on watching too much Little House on the Prairie as a child and not enough Star Wars.

Dansie Family said...

i heard about the byu exhibit. i may need to check it out next time we are up north. thanks for the reminder.

Lisa Maria said...

I didn't know about these photos! I get two conflicting feelings looking at the photographs: some things never change and wow, things are different.